OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009, 23:11 

Out of the packaging, the new A-B-S has a rich mat finish.  Dragging a ball over the surface gives little to no frictional resistance.  The sponge is also different, in that it’s a light peach and will come in 1.2mm, 1.5mm, and 1.8mm.  It is very hard and very dead.  As for this review, I am using a 1.2mm black version. My current bat configuration is a Harmuth custom blade by Pechniqe.com (Off), Anti Special 1.2 (BH) and Tenergy 25 2.1 (FH).

On my drop test there is a noticeable difference on ball rebound between A-B-S and the other Anti’s from Dr. Neubauer.
The pip structure is much finer and smaller, and the sponge looks to be similar to the pink one of Anti Special, however the color change seems to make it play and feel different.

OK- so now for the playing characteristics of this new A-B-S from Neubauer… Truley different!! It is slower and much more controlled.  This new rubber has a softer and deader feel, allowing one more liberty in pushing and blocking.
In that I mean your angle at contact is less critical and one can have more forward movement with the blade and still keep the ball on the playing surface.
The ball seams to stay low and dies on the opponents side, with a wobble and gimme, causing ones opponent much trouble. Another side note the change to A-B-S was seamless in my play style.

On power loops, I could pull the bat back slightly and absorb the energy of the loop, and still keep the ball low and on the table. Loop blocking, stayed low and short over the net with two bounces some of the times on my opponent’s side of the table, not allowing him to re-loop.   
As for hitting, I was able to attack many balls with success that were pushed and stayed over the table.

Serve return is also much easier with more control.  Balls stayed low and I could push them very easily to a corner of my choosing.  This new combination of top sheet and sponge has also seemed to help with return of top spin serves which tended to go long and high, now the ball now stays low and with strong spin-reversal.

Pushing the no-spin balls is also no problem, so long as one has a soft hand and keeps their racket angle set.  Chopping with the new A-B-S is also very easy and controlled.  The ball stays low and keeps a strong backspin on
the ball.  Due to the deadness of how this rubber plays, one needs to push forward on chopping balls.

In conclusion, I believe that this rubber is 40-45% slower than Gorilla/Grizzly, and more controlled and a bit slower than Anti-Special with as much if not more spin reversal.  However here is the best thing, the ball tends to die stop mid air, causing a disruption in your opponents timing. Balls are more unpredictable, and stay low, with a wobble and gimme (the dance of death), causing ones opponent much trouble, and requiring your opponent to have very good footwork to get in position to return the next ball.  This amazed and bewildered my aponants.

Some ball will have no-spin and the next will be loaded. Attacking backspin balls over the net are easy and fast as the sponge is hard. 

Loop blocks now stay on table and are loaded, requiring a push by your opponent on their next shot. 

This rubber is a big but different step to something like a Super Block. As a player one needs to have more than just a good block to win. A-B-S will be a great setup to a good forehand winner at higher levels.

reviewed by:
David Pech
http://www.pechnique.com

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 03:34 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Any plans for another video from Dr. N on playing this rubber?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 07:26 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Any plans for another video from Dr. N on playing this rubber?

I have asked, with no definite answer, however the current strokes using Gorilla/Grizzly will be the same but easer with the new ABS.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 08:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

I think the spin-reversal seems kind of weak. Do you take topspin balls off the bounce or at their highest point for max spin-reversal? Also any wrist action or hold the wrist steady?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 08:25 

mynamenotbob wrote:
I think the spin-reversal seems kind of weak. Do you take topspin balls off the bounce or at their highest point for max spin-reversal? Also any wrist action or hold the wrist steady?

Spin reversal is dependent on incoming spin and contact energy. A soft hand/grip on ones blade will increase spin reversal. Using your wrist/stroking the ball will produce a deader ball. Balls taken off the bounce will tend to stay shorter, closer to the net, yet a bit more difficult to control.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 10:50 

Server return using Dr. Neubauer A-B-S

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 14:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Nice video. Thanks for posting. I wouldn't mind seeing your technique with the A-B-S on some other types of shots, as well. By the way, the one I bought was red. Is the black version better?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 21:58 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Nice video. Thanks for posting. I wouldn't mind seeing your technique with the A-B-S on some other types of shots, as well. By the way, the one I bought was red. Is the black version better?

Black and red should be the same, but I have not tested a red one yet. I will let you know.

Just checked with Carsten Neubauer and he wrote back:
"We did not notice any difference between the red and the black version."

Last edited by dkpech on 15 Jun 2009, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 00:54 

Very good review mnnb. Do you think it is as slow as SB. Would it be suited for a blocking and pushing game close to the table.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 11:04 

Geodor wrote:
Very good review mnnb. Do you think it is as slow as SB. Would it be suited for a blocking and pushing game close to the table.

It should be providing you use the Gladiator or their new Kung Fu blades or blades of similar speed. (All -)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 18:26 

Thanks for the information David. I have a slow TTMaster blade which I use with insider at present. I do attack more than I did with SB so this ABS rubber may be the answer. I would prefer not to have a major change in style at my "age". You have supplied lots of facts.
Kind regards,
George.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 02:03 

Practice session with A-B-S

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 02:20 

Good review dkpech!!

If is possible, pelase post more videos about ANTI SPECIAL :D

Bh :Juic Neo Anti 2.0 , black
Blade : Andro

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 02:27 

jmaster wrote:
Good review dkpech!!

If is possible, pelase post more videos about ANTI SPECIAL :D
Anti Special will play almost identical to A-B-S.
A-B-S is slower and has more control!!! :D

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 09:41 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Hi thank you for the review etc ,but any chance of seeing how it blocks against looping.
as that vid didnt show too much as your opponant was just using a straight bat and it didnt seem like he was spinning very much

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms