OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 09 May 2024, 01:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 61  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 02:05 
Super User

and- wrote:
...And as far as I remember the goal is to protect the health of the athletes, not to eliminate the VOCs. ...

Yes, it was claimed, that speed glue was dangerous, because it contained VOC. However, VOC can not be generally described as dangerous.

For example, newspapers emit VOC, but the level is low and poses no risk for health.

In different countries governments have adopted so called Permissible Exposure Limits for VOC. Permissible Exposure Limits are average values of exposure over the course of an 8 hour work shift which workers may be exposed to 40 hours a week lifelong without any risk for health.

I have read a lot of claims, including on different forums, that speed glue is dangerous, but I have never seen any reference to a study, which proved, that when speed glue is properly used, the average level of VOC in the air exceeds the safe level.

Unfortunately, claims without evidence may nevertheless create an impression, that they are true. Here are the recent claims about speed glue with my comments.

1."In Germany, speed glue was forbidden for children under 15 years of age." It is untrue. Two German coaches told me, the German Associatoin just followed the ITTF speed glue ban, there has never been a special speed glue ban for children.

2."It is also illegal to cross borders with it". In different countries speed glue made abroad was legally sold. So speed glue obviously did legally cross borders.

3."it is illegal to take on board a flight (for different reasons)". Yes, for different reasons, which have nothing to do with normal usage of speed glue. Here are the "Hand baggage restrictions" of British Airports Authority ( http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Sta ... _21Aug.pdf ) . Not permitted are "Soaps", "Toothpaste", "Any drinks in cans, bottles, plastic containers,
cardboard cartons, etc", "Any liquid-based food products in packets, tubes, plastic or tin containers", etc.

So it is obvious to me, that we are not going to see any evidence that speed glue, if properly used, is dangerous to health. At the same time it is very simple to use speed glue properly. That means, that speed glue ban was a mistake. This mistake should be corrected. In my next post I am going to show, what we can do to make it possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 02:53 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
According to the news service AFP, speed glue causes birth defects, nervous system problems and lung problems:

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=6470

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 03:25 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
According to the news service AFP, speed glue causes birth defects, nervous system problems and lung problems:

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=6470

Another example of claims without evidence. We can find a lot of them on the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 04:32 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Smartguy wrote:
Quote:
That means, that speed glue ban was a mistake. This mistake should be corrected. In my next post I am going to show, what we can do to make it possible.

Sorry, I think I must be in a minority here, but I've never used speed glue and certainly don't miss it or the smell of the stuff when players were gluing up.

My only regret is that with the older glues, I could slide used rubbers which I'd already cut to size around on my blade to line it up properly, whereas I can't now when using the water based stuff as it seems to stick the rubber on impact. I sometimes take two or three goes to get it right which is frustrating.

Smartguy wrote:
Quote:
Another example of claims without evidence. We can find a lot of them on the internet.

I think that's a bit harsh - maybe we should contact Christian Palierne direct to explain his research findings. More to the point, how would I know what you are telling me is correct and not Christian Palierne or the ITTF's Glues Working Group and their published health reports. Also who would define "evidence" or "valid research"?

Ultimately, the ITTF have banned it from use and it's been banned for a while now. Regardless of the reason, isn't it time to move on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 05:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I don't mind the speed glue ban which gave a temporary steroid-like effect to rubbers and required constant regluing, but as usual the ITTF threw the baby out with the bathwater by also banning things like Butterfly Basic Chack which is much better than the lousy water-based replacements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 06:20 
Super User

How speed glue ban can be reversed.

First, some details about how ITTF works.

Important: The President of ITTF does not make rules.

According to Constitution of ITTF rules are made by only two bodies inside ITTF: "AGM" and "Board of Directors".

AGM means Annual General Meeting (of the member Associations). Board of Directors consists of the President, Executive Vice-Presidents, Presidents of Continental Federations or their appointees and 32 Continental representatives. The President is the Chairman at Board of Directors meetings, but when Board of Directors votes, the President has only a casting vote, if there is equality of votes. Simple majority is required for a rule to be adopted.

The speed glue ban was adopted by the Board of Directors.

The ban can be reversed by the Board of Directors. In times of internet it is very simple to reach them. On the ITTF Home Page we can find e-mail addresses of all relevant people ( http://www.ittf.com/main/menus/menu_directory.html ): members of Executive Committee (7), Continental Vice Presidents (6), Continental Representatives (32) and Committee Chairmen.

The ban can also be reversed by AGM (Annual General Meeting of the member Associations). All of them have e-mail addresses too.

I would recommend to write a short letter and send it via e-mail to each member of the Board of Directors. I would also address every single Member Association. Translation is not necessary, all of them speak English.

It is crucial how the letter is written. I know, some players are angry, but the letter should be formulated in a polite way. We have to take into consideration, that some members of the Board of Directors and some representatives of National Associations might believe certain allegations about speed glue. I think it would be helpful to tell them, that

1. VOC can not be generally described as dangerous. Certain levels of VOC are absolutely safe. In different countries governments have adopted so called Permissible Exposure Limits for VOC. Permissible Exposure Limits are average values of exposure over the course of an 8 hour work shift which workers may be exposed to 40 hours a week lifelong without any risk for health.

2. No study is known which proves, that when speed glue is properly used, the average level of VOC in the air exceeds the safe level.

3. That hence speed glue ban was a mistake and should be reversed.

About the timing. Annual meetings of the Board of Directors and National Associations take place from 25 April to 05 May this year. Enough time to send letters, and they also will have enough time to think over.

I also believe, that every letter should be written in its author’s own words and signed individually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 06:29 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

haggisv has already organised something very similar for voc free tuners and boosters.

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... ght=letter

Why not start a new thread in the general section like haggisv and keep us up dated with how it goes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 06:35 
Super User

Debater wrote:
haggisv has already organised something very similar for voc free tuners and boosters.

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... ght=letter

Why not start a new thread in the general section like haggisv and keep us up dated with how it goes?

Thanks for the link. I somehow missed the topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 14:57 

Smartguy wrote:
I would recommend to write a short letter and send it via e-mail to each member of the Board of Directors. I would also address every single Member Association. Translation is not necessary, all of them speak English.

Alas, my friend, these guys are ideologically biaised. Their beliefs are fact to them and nothing you would tell them could possibly make them change their minds. At this stage, the only thing I can see which could change the situation is a chinese ITTF events boycott. We'll see what happen at Yokohama WTTC. I don't think umpires will disqualify any chinese for booster use, but if ever they do and chineses leave the place (very seldom, I confess...), things will change.

EDIT (moderator): Some comments deleted. Lets keep the discussion friendly and do not get personal please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 07:11 
Super User

jolan wrote:
Alas, my friend, these guys are ideologically biaised. Their beliefs are fact to them and nothing you would tell them could possibly make them change their minds.

All of them? I don't think so.

Of course, some of them may be hopeless. But I do think, most of them would react positively to reasonable arguments .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 17:04 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Adham, as a registered member of OOAK do you read any of the other sections of this forum?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 01:02 

Hello Adham,

The following questions and comments are in regards to ball weight, tuner and the state of the game.

I am pleased that VOC speed glues have been banned. This is a good move for the health of the players and the state of the game. When VOC glues were legal a year or two ago, the game was very fast and the rallies were usually short. Now that players are using non-VOC tuners, I find the rallies longer and more exciting. Yet the game is still fast enough to have that 'WOW' factor to impress the spectators.

However, tuners are illegal and you are developing / have developed machines to detect them. In order to maintain a fast, exciting game with long rallies I suggest you support any proposition to legalize alteration of the rubber with a non-harmful, authorized tuner. As somebody has already mentioned, the latest $60 tensor rubbers don't even compare to a $15 chinese rubber with a few layers of tuner.

If you do not support tuners, there may be an alternative. Have you tried increasing the ball weight? Heavier balls would increase potential speed, spin and control. I remember reading the website of a european coach who recommended 2.85 gram balls.

Thanks

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 22:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
adham wrote:
OK, guys, now no more questions for one month, this is an excellent chance for all of you to go out and practice our great sport.
Remember, you can see the 2009 World Table tennis Championships "live" on itTV on the ITTF's website (http://www.ittf.com). Enjoy.

If I am re-elected, I will send this Forum a special message. If I am not re-elected, I will still come back, but after I brood for a short while.

Take it easy, and see you all in a month or so.

Dear Adham!

I wonder if you have any news for us yet? We'll be very interested to hear the outcome of the proposals and elections...

Thank you!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 07:12 
King of Ping!

The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is on 30 April (9:00 to 18:00)

The Board of Directors (BoD) Meeting is on 2 May (9:00 to 17:00)

The results of the Elections will be known after the AGM, please check the ITTF website. There are 2 candidates for President:

- Adham Sharara (Canada)
- Alaor Azevedo (Brazil)

The result of the propositions will be known after the BoD meeting.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 16:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks Adham. Good luck in the Elections!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 61  Next