OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 09 May 2024, 10:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do you think table tennis would benefit from the reintroduction of the 38mm ball?
Poll ended at 24 May 2009, 03:11
Yes, I would like to see the reintroduction of the 38mm ball 46%  46%  [ 17 ]
No, I think the 40mm ball is better to play table tennis with 41%  41%  [ 15 ]
I don't care table tennis is table tennis 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 37
PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 03:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Should the ITTF look at reintroducing the 38mm ball, now speed glue has been banned?

Proponents of the 40mm ball, which results in less speed and spin, may cite it as been an aid to less mobile players and leading to longer rallies.

Those supporting the 38mm ball may cite skill and control been enhanced and rewarded with the possibility of bringing back 'lost' playing styles.

What do you think? What are your views?

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 03:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Since when I voted it kind of gave my views away, I'll share my reasons:

I think table tennis has been dumbed down enough. A sport should attempt to find the best player and reward skill. A lot of spin and speed went out the game when the 40mm ball came in. Now the ITTF have gone further and removed speed glue and its speed and spin benefits have gone from the game. Blocking was a more effective technique with the 38mm ball, we see fewer blockers now. Attackers could use spin and speed to pressurise their opponents and defenders could use the spin generated by the opponent and even with 'dead' rubbers generate some spin. It is now harder and slower for everybody with a talent to create or use spin and the lower spin is easier for less talented (and indeed all) players to deal with. I believe people with talent should be rewarded and always enjoyed seeing matches incorporating a clash of styles.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 07:42 

I would like 38mm ball comes back I have been playing with this ball and the game and is more fun (the game is faster,spinnier, so cool), although I don't think that the change is possible, I think now is a bad epoch, because ITTF has banned speed glue, then all players they would have get used again with other kind of ball, On the other hand the Leagues have finished in all countrys (i think) & until september we can practise with new rubbers speed glue built-in and the ball 38mm, the change would be better.

Cheers

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 09:27 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I would hate the 38 ball to come back (Yes Ithink it was better for me as a player because of spin and speed) but it would just cost too much as in a few million balls to replace, new rubbers to be invented to play against the smaller ball, changing styles and equipment etc etc

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 10:20 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I like the 40mm, I think the rallies are longer. anything bigger, though, and it would be too slow I think.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 10:26 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Let's compromise and introduce the 39mm ball!

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 12:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I don't think it made a big impact for me on the game, but I did not agree with the change to 40mm... I'm not real keen to change it again though, as it would mean another adjustment period...

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 13:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
When I came back to TT it took me a while to even realise the ball size had been changed. It was not like I had a 38mm ball handy to compare to what I was playing with, and it wasn't until I saw ads for rubbers saying "designed for the 40mm ball" that it dawned on me they changed its size. It had been sucha very long time since I played TT comp that this change didn't have much impact on me. I have vague memories of my teen years playing with the 38mm ball and the increased speed and spin of it, and perhaps its just age now, but I think I prefer the 40mm ball. I have a 38mm ball which a mate wanted to see the playing difference so we had a brief hit with it, but it kind of felt you were swiping at nothing its so light. I wouldn't like to see the ball be any bigger, but I think 40mm is just right.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 18:43 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

38mm without doubt.

The amount of spin you can wind on the 38mm is crazy. Sidespin looping - you can really get this thing to bend. Looping - super dip. Chopping - obviously its hard to see the amount of spin but super back spin.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 20:36 
Chinese Forum Spy

I'm for the 40mm ball, not only because I grew up learning with it, but also the only reason darksiders are less dangerous now is because the differences in spin has been reduced.

With the 38mm ball back, we'll gradually see the Chinese penhold short pip 3rd ball attackers again, and quite frankly, they're hell to play against. Also pure loopers actually become dangerous, those with safe high arcs with heavy spin would benefit a lot.

Basically it's fast and spinny enough for me! don't change it ahaha. On a side note, if the ball became larger, I think I would benefit a lot though.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 00:12 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Reb wrote:
It was not like I had a 38mm ball handy to compare to what I was playing with....

Sorry, not the clearest quality but I wanted to keep the image small for bandwidth concerns. The camera angle can affect perspective but the 38mm ball is noticeably smaller in the flesh so to speak. When bouncing each ball on my bat the 40mm feels heavier especially on off centre bounces.

Not sure how the 38mm ball would feel in match play on the newer SGE rubbers but as the 40mm ball is bigger I'm all for it as it makes it easier for me to see the ball when playing. I already practice with "training balls" which feel different to 3 star balls so bringing back the 38mm ball would be unwelcome as it would require more adjustments and instead of having one obsolete 38mm ball I'd have 8 obsolete 40mm balls :) .

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 01:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Debater, you only have 8 40mm balls? I think I'd have about 250 obsolete 40mm balls if that occurred! :roll:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 02:39 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Yeah the other thing is not the size of the ball but the weight. 38mm carry more reverse.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 11:43 
HE-LP on land or sea

I think the 38mm ball should come back, as it increases the effect of spin on the ball. As a chopper, it would help me. Also, it would build my style of game. I think the game has been dumbed down. Watch the difference between Kong's games against Waldner, and WLQ's games against boll, and the Waldner/Kong games are much more watchable.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 14:56 

We should keep the 40mm and just make it heavier.