OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 02:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 06:56 
Noppen Guru

@speedplay(you do not bore me :wink: )

Oh s***, I have to say.
Of all things now when you progressed this comes.
Now I think the season is over for you(it would be over in Germny).From which time your season runs?

@mynamenotbob:

testing and evaluation a pip does not need long time for me.After 10 to 20 minutes I can say if the pimple COULD be something for me and I know what is possible with the pimple.
To attest this it can need one or two month and even then I have to see the first matches.Sometimes something runs very well in training situations but in the match... :roll: (I think you know).All in all I think this is very different from person to person.
One needs 5 minutes the other one 5 years (irony-modus on) but I think you know what I mean.

Getting really comfortable is the point when you do not think of material and only play. This depends on what you play but I think that this can need 15 to 20 times of practicing.Sometimes you will never get to this point^^.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 07:02 
Noppen Guru

@mathias:

you played the first time with the rubber?So I would say:No panic :D
Try 2-3 days of practicing more.
As we know the rubber is not easy to play and at the moment I think it is not neccessary to switch the blade when having a lack of control.The blade is very controlled so the problem has to be the rubber.
I would advise to play two times more with the same combination, then you could switch as you said the thickness of the rubber.If this does not work I think it will be difficult for you to play well with the rubber in a short time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 08:09 
Noppen Guru

Yes,

I know this very well.
And of course you are right, there is no right time to be injured.
It is always important to get healthy completely before starting again though it is hard.
I hope you are getting well soon.

I think we will talk again tomorrow.

Now Mc Donalds is waiting for me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 08:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sebastian!

It would be really good if perhaps you could mention a few of the long pimples you're tried, and what you think they are suitable for... Of course it's blade dependent, and a lot depends on our skill level, but it might get us to the right pimple for our game just a little quicker :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 03:44 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
What's your opinion on the "chicken wing" shot? The one below is a more aggressive shot, but a lot of pip players block this way, as well. Do you ever chicken wing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 10:51 
Noppen Guru

@mynamenotbob:

Oh, I never really saw this shot in a video.
Someone who cares for technique would kill him :lol: but we do not have to play nice-we only have to play successfull.
This shot could be an option but I would not try to learn if I would not play it already.
At the moemnt I never play like this.With frictionless pimples this shot was better. Now I play it sometimes in a way around like this as a retunr. But then only on short servies more like the popular "Korbel banana flip".

@haggiv: I will answer your question when I have time the next days because this one has to be answered very detailled so that the answer is useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 12:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sebastian:

I've had 2 practice sessions now, working on your 'sidely' technique... results.... very happy!

First session I tried it with my Phoenix 1.0mm... Although I hit some great shots in practice, when I tried it in a few practice games, the variation and placement and spin caused me to make many errors... most of the balls went over the end of the table... Although I could obviously learn to slow it down more, I felt part of the reason was that I was getting very little spin reversal with this rubber... so the quick flick had very little topspin to bring it down.

So next practice session I decided to put a sheet of Neptune OX, on my other FW+ blade... During the practice session, I hit a lot of balls into the net instead, but kept working on it till I got the hang of it... Once I worked it out, my consistancy improved A LOT... Once again I tried it in a few practice games, this time with my usual practice partner who is similar level to me... Well it was VERY effective... even with only one practice sessions, it won me more points than it lost me... and it also setup a lot more points for me that I could finish off with my forehand!

I feel that OX really did make a difference (compared to 1.0mm), as the reversal was a lot more, so it only required a little backspin from my partner, to give the ball some topspin... With OX the rubber is a little less sensitive to incoming spin as well... which helps for the particular stroke, but also in my return of serves...

I will continue to practice this and hopefully improve more and more... So a big THANK YOU from me for this great tip and advice!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 14:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mynamenotbob wrote:
What's your opinion on the "chicken wing" shot? The one below is a more aggressive shot, but a lot of pip players block this way, as well. Do you ever chicken wing?

Is that Dr. N is that clip NB?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 16:02 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Is that Dr. N is that clip NB?

Yes that's him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2009, 01:49 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
What a great thread. Thanks so much for all your advice Sebastian!

Do you have much experience with long distance chopping? I know the standard advice is to use sponge for long defense, but I've been experimenting with OX lately, and I'm finding it to be pretty effective. Do you think that it's possible to play effective long defense without sponge? If so, how would you deal with an opponent who only lightly topspins to the pips to keep you from building up spin. Thanks :)

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2009, 08:26 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

SeppesTT wrote:
@mathias:

you played the first time with the rubber?So I would say:No panic :D
Try 2-3 days of practicing more.
As we know the rubber is not easy to play and at the moment I think it is not neccessary to switch the blade when having a lack of control.The blade is very controlled so the problem has to be the rubber.
I would advise to play two times more with the same combination, then you could switch as you said the thickness of the rubber.If this does not work I think it will be difficult for you to play well with the rubber in a short time.

Played again as advised. It worked very well. The pip is lively and you have to watch the ball going long and at this point I'm not shifting the spin using pips (using inverted instead). I should be able to move the spin however by shifting the placement on the blade.

I liked the ability to move into the table and block as well to add variation and disrupt the opponents timing.

Its different from my normal game but I liked this pips mid-distance alot. A good opponent will nail me on the backhand (which is not as strong at chopping but ok looping - which is why I attack with pips) but we'll see.

Anyway I'm sticking with it. It was such good fun, whether its good for my TT health dunno - but really liked playing it.

Many thanks Sebastian.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2009, 10:12 
Noppen Guru

@mathias:

nice to hear

@Joo Se Kev:

I have most experience in a pips game near to the table but also know something about the long defence.
I practiced for two years nearly every week with Jie Schöpp and other defence players.

The very good defenders in world class always play with a sponge under their pimple. With a sponge they can produce much more underspin BUT I also know players of a good level who play long defence chopping with an ox-pimple.They like to have the big control they have with their ox-pimple.
The main problem you actually told me.You cannot produce as much underspin on lightly balls than you could produce with a sponge under your pimple.
In this case try to go aggressive into the ball. Aggressive also means that yougo into the ball early and walk nearer to the table to make a little bit more pressure for your opponent.
He will have less time and also will think that your ball is very dangerous :lol:

It sounds like a joke but it is really effective^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2009, 14:26 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Is the opponent's elbow a common target for your blocks or do you mostly try to get the corner to corner rhythm going?

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 01:12 

Ups... :oops:

Hi Sebastian

Blocking close to the table , OX or 0,6mm? Which one is more effective?

BH:Bomb Talent
FH:DONIC Coppa JO Gold
BLADE: TT Master

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 01:54 
Noppen Guru

@mynamenotbob:

playing to the opponents`s elbow is mostly a good placement.
You do this because you wanna give t him the decision if he should play forehand or backhand and you want to achieve that he does not stand in a good way to play one of these.
With blocking it depends on your opponent`s physical strenght.
If he does not move well it is a good placement.Against faster players I would play more into the edges and let him run.
BECAUSE:

a block is often not so fast. If you play on the elbow a fast opponent will have much time to move so that he stands in a very well position.

@the wall: I cannot answer on this question in a way which includes everything. It depends on your combination (blade/pimple)/
with fricitonless long pips it was clear that playing without a sponge was much more effective because of the hardness of the blade and so you had more spin reversal.
Now it really depends on and I think both is possible for many players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next