OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 May 2024, 15:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2009, 12:16 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Hi Sebastian,

Great answer on the serving question. It gave me a lot to think about. Any tips on playing opponents who attack with short pips? Flat-hitters are always a problem (especially penholders).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 01:46 
Noppen Guru

@mynamenotbob:
now you gave me the most difficult question you could give.
I will not have a very good answer on that because we hate this match with short pimples (and penholder).
With our backhand we give mostly underspin and that is exactly what these opponents like. Against other opponents me can make them mistakes with this and bring them out of their system.
Against these shortpimpled guys we can only make what they want to because our system is perfect for them.
We only have 2 chances to make our chances better. Try to play many balls with the inverted side.If this is not possible many of these guys have one problem.If you play them into their backhand they are fast enough to run and to play these balls good with their forehand.They often have more problems when you play often in their wide forehand.Then they cannot play that hard and you can block in their backhand.With this ball they will have problems because they can only lay it on your side.

@speedplay:try it sometimes and tell me your results.I think you can better your chances against him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 04:17 
Super User

Oh, Sebastian!!! One important question: do you think that TTMaster will win the trial against ITTF in Switzerland? If so, what will happen to the frictionless LP ban?

Thanks again,

Q.-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 04:27 

Hello Sebastian,

I am a combination player with anti spin but am just about to make the change to long pimples (yasaka phantom 007 ox).

I know this requires some time for you to answer, but would you be able to suggest some training exercises that would help to develop play with the long pimples?

Similarly, I will not be used to the return of service with long pimples instead of anti spin, so what are your tactical rules for service return. (e.g. short back/under spin, short topspin, sidespin etc...)

Any answers are most appreciated.

A

stiga stellan bengtsson 1970/71 has a cracked handle now, so ....

donic jo coppa gold: 2.0mm black
yasaka phantom 007: ox red / donic akaddi l2 0.6mm red

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 08:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sebastian!

I read your answer about receiving slow no-spin serves with great interest.

I find that often people like to serve very fast and deep serves to my long pimples, with little spin. I find these balls hard to block and to keep my return low... and even the options for placement are restricted.

Taking a step back from the table, and chopping the ball back is always an option to me, but if it's a real strong looper, I often get into trouble. I play with Hallmark Phoenix 1.0mm on backhand on a Firewall+ blade.

Can you offer any advice on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 09:58 
Noppen Guru

@speedplay: nice to hear from your advancement. Maybe you will handle us slow players more and more...

@quelis: a question often herard the last time but I have to be sorry that I do not really know more in that case than you could read in forums. The point is that I do not know the TT-master guys personally.One thing is a barrage in language because they are chinese guys with only a little bit skills in french which is not my best language. Here maybe Adham Sharara could be a better adress than me. I talked to some guys on that topic like with Dr.Neubauer but I do not want to say more because it would only be speculation.
Maybe even Adham Sharara cannot say more about that or should not say more about that.If he does not I can understand his action. I think I would do the same. The process is not over and so everything would be speculation. He is in a position where people want to have facts from him and no speculations so I think he should not really say anything about that till teh process is finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 10:26 
Noppen Guru

@arwc:
for explaining the techniques exactly I want to see the players.If I would only write down techniques something would come to you in a wrong way.
I think this is even better for you.I was often asked to make a book or a longer video where I explain all the techniques in detail with all the mistakes made often but I will not do in the nearer future because I make training courses and have to live on something :lol:
Of course private training where you see the players is much more effective than only a book or video but then some players(or even many-I do not know) would not come anymore to the courses.
The experience has shown that only writing down techniques without having had a coach is dangerous for you because than you look at teh words and often you make anything wrong so that it will not work and learn something wrong.
BUT I will give you a tip which is, as I think, important.
You will not learn totally new techniques in good quality if you play with an opponent. Learning a new technique means that you cannot play it at the beginning and that you need time to think of parts of the technique.You also have to begin VERY slow(for techniques with the pimples even more important) and get faster from time to time.
You will also need time till you have teh new techniwue longer in mind and can act with it out of the match.
If you start learning by playing with an opponent(who is not one of the best players in the world :P ) the ball will always come on a different part of your side and have a little bit different kinds of rotation. That is not good for you to learn the technique because you would always make another shot because the ball comes in another way.The second thing is that you cannot only concentrate on yourself.You also have to concentrate on your opponent.
My tip is to take some (or many) balls and take a partner who always plays one ball like in a multiball practice.Then only play the technique you want to play and only one ball so that you only concentrate on this technique.You can do that for some minutes and repeat this.So you see how your ball goes and often what to change to make the ball come.At the beginning I would not try to make 5 different techniques in a row.Make only 2 techniques and make them better.Afterwards you can add new ones.As recently as the technique is no problem for you when you know where the ball goes your partner can first make different placements and than you can try to add it in your game.You can make a service and then the technique or your opponent can make a service and then you can play it (depends on what ball you are practising).

For your return:
against short or halflong services you can try to lay the ball short/
against underspin you can try to make a little topspin or to drop the ball
against every service you can try to chop
there are many techniques which could be used but as I said it is not so easy to explain in a forum

I hope this general information can help you a little bit.

@haggis:
now you showed one of the problems of our playing-system as I told to speedplay.
Taking a step back and chopping the ball is, as you said, always an option to bring the ball.Against some guys it will be ok, against other guys it will be a problem because you make no real pressure with that.Then a player who attacks good has much time( sometimes much to much :roll: )/If you do try to make it long and wide.

Laying short is good if the ball comes but I think that it is not easy against this service and you will make some mistakes or balls which come slow and too long. Your opponent will have the point.
I often play the technique where I take the ball sidely to make pressure as you can see in my videos.But this technique is not easy to learn though it is effective.
All in all there are some opportunities which you can play but one thing is important for all. If you cannot play the short then you have to make a little bit pressure with your return. This goes with speed. You should not smash harder(than you would make the mistakes).
Take the ball very, very early(if possible sometimes half-volley).So the ball comes faster because it has not so much way to go AND you will take the speed of your opponents serve with you without doing more( if the service has some speed).So you can return much more effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 11:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

SeppesTT wrote:
@haggis:
now you showed one of the problems of our playing-system as I told to speedplay.
Taking a step back and chopping the ball is, as you said, always an option to bring the ball.Against some guys it will be ok, against other guys it will be a problem because you make no real pressure with that.Then a player who attacks good has much time( sometimes much to much :roll: )/If you do try to make it long and wide.

Laying short is good if the ball comes but I think that it is not easy against this service and you will make some mistakes or balls which come slow and too long. Your opponent will have the point.
I often play the technique where I take the ball sidely to make pressure as you can see in my videos.But this technique is not easy to learn though it is effective.
All in all there are some opportunities which you can play but one thing is important for all. If you cannot play the short then you have to make a little bit pressure with your return. This goes with speed. You should not smash harder(than you would make the mistakes).
Take the ball very, very early(if possible sometimes half-volley).So the ball comes faster because it has not so much way to go AND you will take the speed of your opponents serve with you without doing more( if the service has some speed).So you can return much more effective.

Thank you, that is very useful!

You mentioned "I often play the technique where I take the ball sidely to make pressure as you can see in my videos". Do yuo mean you brush the ball in a sideways action, sometimes referred to as a 'swiping action'?
I have not actualy seen this in a video, can you tell me where I can find this video?

Just to make sure I understand the last bit of your advice correctly, you recommend to practice taking the ball very early, and take the pace off the ball? Would you be trying to place the ball as short as possible, or is deep still better, to give you more time to get into position?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 11:54 
Noppen Guru

Here is one little video where I practice with Nicole Struse(the 3rd part).I think you will know what this sidely played technique is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhPdZOdn-0

here also number 2 with techniques for a short ball and a forehand attack with the pimples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmp9N8KT7kU

here longer balls with blocking and attacking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYj-o7-fDYg

To your receive:you understood me right, haggisv.
Against players without pimples it is very good to lay short.One tip from me: many players can play very well against short balls in their backhand but they have big problems with short balls in their forehand.
Laying short is not so easy but you can learn in at the receive of service.
All in all a mixture of short receives and long receives is the optimum against most opponents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 12:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
You're really answering our questions completely. Thanks again. Can you tell us how you normally win your points? What is a typical point like in your games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 13:08 
Noppen Guru

There are some ways to make the point.
All in all there are two main strategies to make the point.
1)making the point directly with the pimpled side
2)making a ball with the pimple so that I can finish with a forehand topspin

Now I give some examples which I play often
1)
-the sidely ball or the topspin or a dropped ball with the pimple long in the forehand of the oppenent-then he makes topspin and I block into the backhand/he mostly makes the mistake or can only the ball harmless on my side back because he has problems reaching the ball in a right way

-I play a long ball with the pips into the opponents backhand and block then into his wide forehand (then you can repeat the ball explained in my first example)

2) I lay the ball short after the opponents service-he has to chop and I can attack with pimples or the inverted side

Another ball which comes often is that I play long and let the oppoennt make a topspin I block(often in the wide backhand) and he has to chop-than I can attack good on this ball

Of course there are many possibilities a ball can go but these are some examples which come very often in this strategy of playing.
In my eyes we long pips players play a little bit of chess and so it is importnat to have 2 or 3 standard-ways a ball can go in which we are very safe and make only rare mistakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 22:07 

Thanks Sebastian. I understand entirely. I have a good training partner who often does multiball with me for my chop block with the anti spin.

Some of the players in the club are ex professional players and they can hit straight through anything (our coach is an ex training partner/room mate with kong linghui) but there are enough players to hit the ball consistently in the same place for me to work on shots with the long pimples.

The main difference between the anti spin and the pimples will be their sensitivity to spin on serves and the bat angles used on the block/chop block.

What angles do you find you need to have your bat at when blocking/chop blocking against strong topspin attacks?

Many thanks again.

stiga stellan bengtsson 1970/71 has a cracked handle now, so ....

donic jo coppa gold: 2.0mm black
yasaka phantom 007: ox red / donic akaddi l2 0.6mm red

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 22:11 
Super User

SeppesTT wrote:
Here is one little video where I practice with Nicole Struse(the 3rd part).I think you will know what this sidely played technique is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhPdZOdn-0

I tried this at practice tonight and this move is very promising. I will have to train more before using it in a match situation, but I really like the concept.

Made me think about something similar on the FH, which seems to work quite well too. Racket goes from bottom right to top left (if you hold your racket with your RH).

Thanks SeppesTT! your input is very much appreciated.

BTW I am playing with a slightly grippy LP. From experience I have noticed quite a big difference between Semi frictionless LPs and Grippy LPs in the way they play. Is the advice you give more for semi frictionless LPs or it doesn't really matter?

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 22:38 
Noppen Guru

@arwc:

so it is nice for you to have good partners for your practicing.
Nothing avoids you from developing any more :D

To the block:
against soft topspins you can do many things(even attacking back). Here you do not have to be so sensitive.
Against strong topspin attacks with your anti or with semifrictioned LPs
your bat angle could be around 90° to the table.
When the pips have more friction you have some possible ways:
1)go with the ball to the net(half-attacking)
2) you play a long defence
but now 3) (I think what you want to do):
try first to make the angle seen to the table less than 90° and try to hold and get control/
a secod way is to make the angle a little bit more than 90°to the table (open) and chop with a short movement down and maybe a little bit forwards.

@bvautier:
this movement is not so easy so you have to try a longer time before using in the match and in situations where you do not know where the ball comes.

You actually CAN play this even with your forehand side.With the forehand side I would mainly use it as a receivement from service.
I showed this in video number 2 with Nicole Struse (after the short balls with bh).There you can have a look on it.

I think thwe main difference between semi frictionless LPs and grippy LPs is in the way to block.
Each of the attacking techniques you see is possible with both. Of course sometimes it works a little bit more easy with another rubber or another blade but the main movements still keep being the same ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 06:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes that sidely technique looks very impressive, and I'm keen to practice this as well. I've seen Dr Neuabauer play similar strokes, but it does not look as effective as yours...

Can you describe the stroke in a little more detail? It looks to me like you're starting off as playing a simply 'push', but then you brush the ball sideways with a quick action on the side of the ball.... I assume the earlier to take the ball the better? What is the best contact point on the ball?

Thank you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next