OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 01 May 2024, 09:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 16:24 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
In an effect to play George's game style, I have started to use MP on forehand. Actually, I have tried grippy long pip (Leggy 1.0) on forehand, but after 1.5 days of hitting, pips began to fall out, so I replaced it with pimplemini 1.5. Backhand is Long A 1.1.

Have tried to play LOng A on forehand too, but I can't chop with Long A on f/h, pips are not grippy enough, balls are always at the bottom of the net.

I was hoping that the dead sinking ball hit by pimplemini will stop George from attacking, it did for the first few balls, but he adapted it really fast, too bad. However, the MP's little LP effect is still working sometime especially when I kind of chop but not really chopping.

BTW, the enclosed garage is very hot and humid, that's why no shirt for George. However, in my garage, there is no rules about that.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15921804T8nknrnA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2008, 17:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I suspect an opponent would adjust more easily when there is less contrast between the 2 rubbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 00:35 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

George is so used to my long pip plays now, I guess the medium pip doesn't bother him that much either. However, not everybody can handle LP and MP that easily. May be I should try this set up on other players in the club and see how effective it is.

With MP on forehand, due to the grippy pip, hit, chop and push have no problems, just can't loop that easy, but I think it can be done by stroking a little more forward than just up, I have done that in a rally with him.

Now, I am waiting for the 563 and peacekeeper arrival to try them on the forehand. hopefully, the effect will be bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 07:48 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Thanks, Speedplay, I did tried grippy short pip (802-40) two months ago and played Thursday night tournaments with it. I missed too many shots that I should have made, so I changed and found Skyline 3. I was doing fine until I got Leggy 1.0 and got me thinking that If I can have good chopping and hitting with Leggy, may be I should try using it on forehand side to compliment Long A on backhand. Unfortunately, this idea lasted only half a day because I broke 8 pips in that short experiment.

So, I tried another Long pip today, feintsoft 1.3 on my forehand, and George was nice enough to help me play mainly forehand for an hour. I now can hit flat and mild looping on Feintsoft for 10 or more balls. I hit/loop to his backhand, and he block them back to the middle. Chopping is still a problem and not as good as pimplemini because I guess it is not as grippy enough.

With today's experiment, I think I can be trained to like playing with LP on both sides, forehand side being a lot more grippier than the backhand side. Still searching for a very grippy LP, any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 10:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Before I switched to the Peacekeeper I was using the Dawei 388D-1 Quattro, that's a pretty grippy long pip.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 11:38 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Thanks, Dwruck.

The Peacekeeper and 563 are coming my way, and I may have to try Dawei 388D-1 Quattro someday. How thick a sponge you think is good for me to attack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 21:44 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I would go with the 1.0 if you want to attack. I've tried it in OX, 0.6 and 1.0, and the only time I could hit decently was with 1.0. But, I switched to the Peacekeeper for improved hitting, and that does hit much better. The nice thing is, the Dawei is pretty cheap to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 23:15 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Remember that I am trying out different long pips on my forehand, pimplemini 1.3 was good, the 1.5 a little bit better, some LP effect but good hitting. Problem is, not affecting George that much.

Tried FeintSoft 1.3, great LP sinking effect, can loop good, and flat hitting is effective, chopping a little bit tougher, not as good as pimplemini but better than long A. All these comparisons are on forehand only. Yesterday, broke one pip in the middle already after playing 2 hours, but I had this FeintSoft for several months now, so it is not a big deal.

Since peacekeeper is a MP, I expect it to hit good, is it grippy enough to add top spin and good chopping? Anyway, my order should arrive either today or tomorrow, I will definitely try it on. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 01:54 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I would say that Peacekeeper is definitely NOT grippy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 04:11 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I agree, Not grippy.
I suspect tat is going to try to use PK differently than you and I dwruck. It will not work. I have been trying to tell everyone that PK is Great for hitting Backspin, you are using incomming spin to become your top going out. You are not creating spin.
If you try to hit an incomming loop, it will reverse (continue?) alot of the spin and send chop back. If hit hard, it will float long or even curve UP. Very similar to using a slippery anti.
For blocking a loop, it takes the speed off the ball and will drop it short with backspin. I have tried and have Not been able to counter hit a low loop. It either goes straight or curves up. It cannot turn topspin into topspin, it is too slippery.
On the other hand, when someone brush loops a little too high, I have a direct line to the table and can hit. This goes out as a fast Chop ball and is Very hard to return. (Equivalent shot is a chop smash with inverted)
For pushing, PK is very good. If someone "loads a push" with backspin and you push back, it may go back with top even though you contacted the ball very close to the bottom.
PK does Not play like most LPs. It plays closer to slippery anti. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 06:51 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Thanks, dwruck and hookshot.

The peacekeeper will arrive soon and I should be able to find out how slippery it is. I might have a problem of using PK in my forehand because I also want to chop on forehand too in addition to hit and block.

Hopefully, 563 should be more grippier, I have seen Bill U chop my loop before.

Tried P1R this morning against robot, hitting and looping against top spins were ok, but chopping on forehand is still a problem. It is kind of funny that both Long A and P1R can have great chopping ability on my backhand but I just can't do the same consistency in chopping on my forehand, I think it is the way I do it.

More work needs to be done in this department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 07:07 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi Tat,
Hope you understand what I am trying to tell you. However, you might be able to do what I can't. Never know till you try.
As far as chopping with PK, it is the EAISEST rubber I have ever used to chop with. How much spin that goes back is partly dependent on how much came in although I can vary the amount of spin by using the wrist or not. Also can kind of punch chop,,,go into the ball more instead of going under with a thin blade. When they keep looping, it just winds up the spin more and more each time. They usually lose on that one as the PK is not real sensitive to different amounts of spin when chopping.
I really want to hear how you do with it. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 07:53 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

tatlwai wrote:
Hopefully, 563 should be more grippier, I have seen Bill U chop my loop before.

I would suppose it will be more grippier, as I found that 563 is grippier than Evil due to the textured surface, wider pips, and thicker rubber base.

I also find it easier to roll as the thickness gives a better dwell than Dr. Evil.

hookshot, I suspect you like it a bit better than Evil because of the dwell. Just a guess. :)

Oh yeah, the 'slippery anti' characteristic is quite lost from the 563 -- it works like a knuckle-ball SP, not a slippery anti.

I hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 08:59 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Ok, I just reeived through priority mail from zero pong a shhet of peacekeeper OX, 563 2.0 and 1.5 supersoft 35 degree sponge. Put the sponge and peacekeeper OX on my R*1 blade already and bounced it several times, tested on my wood floor and compared with P1R 1.3 and Long A 1.1.

First impression, I like the bounce of it, it is lively, that's the bounce I like because I tap the ball a lot. Tried to feel the pips, may be my wife is right, my hand is too rough, can't feel anything. Si, instead, I used my marked balls and tried underspins on my wood floor. I would say the grippiness is about the same as Long A and P1r. I think I may have a problem using it to chop unless I significantly change the way I chop on forehand, open more.

It is too late to test it on robot because it is almost time for ballroom dancing, it is Friday. Guess I will test it tomorrow early.

BTW, hookshot, I think my strokes are totally different than you and dwruck, hopefully, I can do the things that you say it can't be done.

You have seen all my videos, I saw Dwruck played but haven't seen you play yet, when will I have the honor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 11:47 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

hookshot wrote:

I really want to hear how you do with it. :D

Now that you might have known that I have tried P1R on forehand and like it. Not that I don't like Peacekeeper or 563, but I didn't have too much time on both yet.

I did play a little with both pips, all red in color and I glued them on R*1 just to play them at the same time. I think I made a huge mistake this way because these pips are totally different, bounces are different and the grippiness are different. After 15 minutes of inability to put the ball on the other side of the table, I started using P1R and magic, it work, I used the same strokes I used for Peacekeeper and 563 on incoming balls, now the balls went back over the net fast and dead.

For now, I think I'll stick with P1R on f/h and Long A on b/h, but I will still test the peacekeeper and 563 when I am alone with the robot. I know I can tame these beasts, just give me a little more time.

The big question is, should I stock up on P1R to match the number of sheets that I have for Long A? :lol:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!