OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 17:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 12:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I finally got the sheet of Galaxy Uranus Alex sent me paired up with a suitable blade, so here's my impressions after an hour or so practice.

Pips on this sheet (red 2.0) are similar in size and shape to 802 (not 802-40) or Dawei 388-B (not B1). The pips are hard, like 802, not soft like 388. This pegs the rubber as an allrounder more suitable for hitting than for spinning. The sponge is interesting in that it is medium soft but springy. I treated with 1 coat of Ecolo Expander II, left on for 18 hours.

The result is the rubber is far faster than similar pips that I've tried, like 802 with a variety of sponges, 388B, 802-40 or 889-2. It gives up some dwell time for speed and the rubber is much higher throw than the above, so much so that I had to track down a low throw hinoki blade to tame it.

Once I got the blade lined up it felt I could do all sorts of things you can't do with a lower throw rubber. I could let the ball drop and loop it, rip long serves back off the bounce, push and flip low balls easily and put nasty spin on my serves. As a reformed inverted user, it allowed me to play almost an inverted game, serve underspin, loop the return and then attack the next ball.

What it doesn't do as well as a rubber like Pluto is roll low balls and vary the speed on blocks. Blocks were either fast or off the table, though with a slower blade I'd have more control. Also, as I was used to a lower throw rubber I made errors due to my blade being too open. But boy this is fun! I think Uranus captures the opposite end of short pips play well. While Pluto works well for high throw blades, rolling and blocking, Uranus works better on low throw blades for looping and hitting.

I think players who like 802 and 802-40 will like Uranus even more and Uranus is a good low cost alternative to expensive Japanese rubbers like Butterfly Raystorm, which didn't seem any faster or spinnier.

Another winner from Galaxy/Milky Way. Just get it on the right blade.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 18:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That is great post Andrew...thank you kindly!

I'm very impressed how you can find a blade to match a particular rubber, to utilise the rubber's good properties!

Now we just have to convert you to a long pimple player, so we can get the same insight into these :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 21:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've tried 755 Faster, Galaxy 955, s well as medium pips C7, Spintech Stealth and 563 and can say that I like the long and medium pips which are spinny and fast. In other words, I prefer my pips short!

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 22:10 
Rubber Killer!

I'm also impressed at how you can manage to match the throw of the blades with the rubbers. I'm not at that stage where I'm fussy about that, but still amazing none the less. It drives me insane as its hard to find the right combinations to balance out the qualities of different rubbers.

I assume you've used Tango Ultra, hows the throw on that ? Last time I remembered it to be very low and extremely fast.

I got too itchy and slapped on my Royal and had a hit. Extremely fast but not that spinny. PM me if you want to know more :P

Haggisv has a point though, a LP hitter definitely sits on the top of the hill on the darkside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007, 00:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Joola Tango Ultra is my usual short pip. Throw is low as I've used it on a number of high throw blades, but they have to be hard as the sponge is so soft. I use it on a Joola Guo 3C which is very hard and pretty high throw.

Yes I would like to hear more about the Stiga Royal as something in between the spinniness of Joola Tango Ultra and lack of spinniness of Glaxy Pluto might be fun. Most of my blades are pretty fast though. I also have a sheet of red 1.8 still in the package.

I'm trying Pluto now on my bounciest, highest throw blade, a Winning R9 9 ply wood blade I've never been able to tame. Initial hits with it seem promising, more as I play with it in the next few days.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007, 09:56 
Rubber Killer!

The royal I'm playing with now is Max in black. The sponge is fairly soft like the 802-40. It has a catapult effect to it and gives a great noise. The throw is medium on this pip, not high or low.

Specialties: Extremely fast, I wouldnt say faster than tango ultra but around the same. Great control at this speed as well.

Disadvantages: Lack of spin, I think this is due to the vertical pips that have been arranged too sparsely. If they were placed more tightly together I suspect there would be much more spin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2007, 07:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks, that helps. I'll need to match it to a slower, lower throw blade I guess, but I've fortunatley got one, right now it has Uranus on it.

I've found that the vertically oriented pips in general throw higher, but the high throw of the Uranus makes me think its the hardness of the pips and springiness of the sponge as well.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007, 06:37 

Andrew, He destroyed Chen Weixing 7,7,9,1, there's hope for lefty penholders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007, 06:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Good for He Zhi Wen!

Chen seemed also to have little luck against Li Ching in the 2006 Teams.

-- Andrew