OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 12:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 14:21 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Just a question for those with short pips experience. Ive been using low friction short pips and similar rubbers for an allround game for a while.

I've not been using a sponge over 1.5mm at any stage. I only recently had the chance to play someone of higher level to get some feedback on effective it is.

Long story short against a higher level player I didn't do any better than I would with inverted. Before I left I had made a blade that I thought would be low in dodgy factor incase the defence setup annoyed him.

So it was just a basic offensive setup, with 802-1 in 1.5mm sponge. When I used this setup he immediately became uncomfortable with the balls off the backhand and I was able win a match comfortably which just doesn't happen normally.

His thoughts were that I'm harder to play when I use the bh offensively and that I should explore this short pips hitting some more. I can feel there's not quite enough pop in the sponge for this type of game. Assuming I'll stay with the 802-1 top sheet how far can I go on so he thickness before I loose the inherent dodgy factor of a lowish grip sp like 802-1? While increasing the pop out of the sponge and is there any sponge in particular wich works well AND are very soft sponges in general better for hitting with so. I'm assuming that would be the case?.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 08:50 

Softer spongers give short pips a lot more spring, for example a 2mm sponge short pips you can more or less loop with (even though it's not as fast as inverted or as spinny). With more sponge you can produce more spin, using short pips with thin sponge or even no sponge starts getting close to playing with a hard bat so it's much easier to hit the ball flat and drive forward but it lacks a lot of variation.

You could give a thicker sponge a go but it might feel too soft for you as it really feels like the ball is sinking in a lot more. The best way to counter that softness is to put a thicker sponged short pips on a harder blade.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 11:41 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I was looking for a SP set up a few months ago, so I searched some older threads.
Here is one of the threads under the SP section: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18013&view=viewpoll
I ended up with 802-40, 2mm.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 12:51 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Foam, When playing against him did you try to hit with the pimplemini? Did it not have a disruptive sinking effect or was it just not a fast enough hit. I've played with 802 with a faster blade and I found it wasn't too hard to chop with but was awesome to hit with.. How do the two compare in hitting?

I've been toying with working more of a hitting game on my backhand because of the new ball. Possibly 388d-1, pimplemini, 802, or hellfire, or p1r 0.6. These have been the pips I've been most successful with but I've been chopping more than hitting. Looking to just swap that eventually. Anyway let us know the difference you find. I'll be interested to hear your findings.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 20:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black

His thoughts were that I'm harder to play when I use the bh offensively and that I should explore this short pips hitting some more. I can feel there's not quite enough pop in the sponge for this type of game. Assuming I'll stay with the 802-1 top sheet how far can I go on so he thickness before I loose the inherent dodgy factor of a lowish grip sp like 802-1? While increasing the pop out of the sponge and is there any sponge in particular wich works well AND are very soft sponges in general better for hitting with so. I'm assuming that would be the case?.[/quote]
Against a very competent local league player recently he was hitting bullets past me with Joola Tango ultra on the backhand of his balsacarbo x5,also had a very nice control when pushing over the table.good corking sound when he connects,very soft sponge and fast enough

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 01:47 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I think spinnier short pips benefit from thicker sponges. Classical short pips are often better with medium thickness sponges, especially on the backhand. Choppers usually prefer thinner sponges.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 11:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I've tested 729 563 on many different sponges (1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0). It produces more sink effect with thinner sponge. With 2.0 sponge it can be played almost like inverted though the pips sever easily under this abuse.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 12:03 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

nathanso wrote:
I've tested 729 563 on many different sponges (1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0). It produces more sink effect with thinner sponge. With 2.0 sponge it can be played almost like inverted though the pips sever easily under this abuse.

Do you think 563 is better in 1.2 than 1.5 sponge?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 13:59 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hello short pip brothers from other mothers, good to see this thread finally came to life.

Ok let me try and address what I've been up to in my theories. So against that player I mentioned in the first post I didn't do so well with pimplemini. Locally I can only play players quite a bit below my level so I'm never %100 sure if I'm playing well or not.

I finally got to play this kid whos rated about %15 higher than me. The pimplemini and defplay didn't bother him much. I have it in 1.0mm so its basically slow and good for chopping but he's a young aggressive player and in the past the only time I take the odd game off him is blocking his attacks to somewhere he isn't.

But with the 1.5mm 802-1 on a faster blade it ruined him, ruined him so much I was also able to attack quite often and even though my loop isnt quite as heavy with the stiffer blade it was still enough. I was able to comfortably beat him 3-0 with that blade having never held it before. With the defplay which I'd been using for several months I lost 4-1.

I played again with the 802-1 back home against weaker players and found the oicassional _amazing_ short pips shots that actually made me laugh they were so unexpectedly awesome. I did feel the sponge wasn't thick enough, I'm sure about it.. But I also don't want to loose too much of the dodgy factor that rubber has. Its both grippier and more slippery than normal 802 depending on your stroke so its a bit demanding and more sponge should find that too. Ive decided I'll get it in 2.0mm and if that's not dodgy anymore than perhaps I can go to 1.8mm. I could still chop with it on 1.5mm even on the off rated blade so I'm guessing it'll still chop ok with 2.0mm. Gota be easier than inverted right and chopping with 2mm inverted isn't so hard from a distance.

Tabesamis, my favorite pips have been 388-d1, pimplemini and dr evil. All because they have some grip, but not much and all hit well, with some deception, I like just enough for the other guy to have to think just enough that I can get on the offensive.
I tend to hit with the pips more than chop. 802-1 didn't behave like this on a soft flexible blade, on the stiffer blade its just better. Probably those other rubbers would hit better on a stiff blade too. In any case the 802-1 is what I stumbled upon so many as well get that in 2mm, the price is good too :). I really don't like to use rubbers that cost over $20 if I can avoid it. I'm having a hit tonight and I have some normal 802 on a super soft sponge on the defplay to see what happens. Just want to see how different it is with a very soft sponge (dawei butter)

I hope that explains everything a bit better:).

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 12:05 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well I figured out the following.

Offensive blade is too fast for random opponents you don't know.
I can chop like a freak on the forehand all the sudden, I could always chop better on fh than backhand but I reach a new level of heavy spin yesterday. Still cant chop well on the backhand, its HIGHLY annoying.

DHS G666 chops ridiculous good, TG3 is ok. All three of my defensive blades are awesome for chopping Koji, Immune and Defplay but amoung them chopping awesome is inversely proportional to loopong awesome.

So in light of all this, ie cant chop properly on bh, chop awesome on fh, loop good on fh. Block good on bh hit ok on bh. Im going to try two things. 1) a blazing fast short pip on the defense blades. 2) a very thin sponged fast inverted both on backhand. I would ty a full sponged tensor but the weight on a 166mm blade would be ridiculous.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 14:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
mynamenotbob wrote:
Hard to say if it's better.. better for what? That 1.2 has serious sink, that much I remember. That, and having to order it from Eacheng because it's so obscure in the USA.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 14:19 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

nathanso wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
Hard to say if it's better.. better for what? That 1.2 has serious sink, that much I remember. That, and having to order it from Eacheng because it's so obscure in the USA.

Sorry. Better for control, punch blocking, etc.

| My OOAK Interview