OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 03 May 2024, 22:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 07:30 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Assuming you play ox pips on your backhand, how do different types of rubbers on the forehand side affect the performance of the backhand side?

For example, on a normal five-play wood blade, how differently would the pip side play with a 1mm inverted rubber on the other side, as opposed to a 2mm inverted rubber on the other side?

Less speed? More control? Better feel? Better ability to absorb hard hits? Does it really make a significant difference?

Or how would the pip side be affected by a 1.5mm inverted rubber with a soft sponge on the other side, as opposed to a 1.5mm inverted rubber with a hard sponge?

Does it matter more on a wood blade versus a carbon blade? Are pips on balsa blades affected any differently?

A lot of dynamics at work here. What are the rules of thumb?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 08:49 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I've never really noticed this phenomenon myself as I always use 2.0mm inverted on one side, but a 1900ish long pips blocker (ox dtecs) at my club claims to have noticed an increase in speed on the pips side when he changed from short pips to inverted...

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 11:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm the same, I've never really noticed much difference, although there quite a few people out there that claim a significant difference... :shock:

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 14:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I've also never noticed any particular difference, other than bat weight. However, I've never done any specific tests either. I wonder if anyone here has?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 13:31 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

The biggest different is sound.
Sound of my LP chop when FH is Globe is quite firm. It's very loud when use Nimbus.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 14:45 
Super User

I notice a significant difference when it comes to hitting with the LP side, and I think it has to do with the weight of the overall blade. I was playing LP on both sides and then experimented with a 802 2mm SP rubber which is probably 3 times heavier than the LP it replaced. I found that when hitting with the LP that was left, the shots where faster and more controlled. (This was on a stiff blade.)

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 16:14 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

My reference of a top player would be Paul P. Although I dont try to emulate him in style he still plays very effectively for his age age and also against an "opens" environment. He does play with a thin 5 ply blade such as stiga allround and ox pimples bh and a 1.5mm rubber on fh.
Myself I did try a very similar setup(stiga allround, neptune ox and globe 999 1mm) but noticed I could not generate no where near enough power on a offensive stroke, plus it did vibrate alot.
I switched my fh rubber too a donic silver max and noticed straight away I had added power and less vibration.
I had more control on my chops as well with the thicker sponge on the fh, with the thinner sponge the flex of the blade was more prominent and I did lose some control, often landing longer where I expected and sometimes shooting out.
Blocking close to the table with both setups I did not feel much difference.

I think Paul with his 25+years of experience in table tennis, can generate his own power better from his body. i read that he does train frequently, physically and not only on the table tennis court.
His chop stroke too is much better than mine too, starting above his head and finishing below the knee in less than a second.